Joan Whitford was a British writer who, under pseudonyms including Barry Ford, John Hasler and Rex James, wrote adventure strips and prose stories for the Amalgamated Press's comics and story papers in the 1950s. She wrote a lot of westerns for Thriller Picture Library, Knock-Out, Sun, Western Library and the Buffalo Bill Wild West Annual, as well as crime stories and a series of Dick Turpin strips for Thriller Picture Library. Under her own name, she wrote romance strips for Famous Romance Library in the 50s, and "Stories from the Apocrypha" for The Bible Story in the 60s. She also wrote for the nursery title Playhour.
- Wild West eMonday - To Tame a Graphic-Land, The Tainted Archive
- Steve Holland, Playhour Artists/Authors, Bear Alley, 18 July 2007
- Allen J. Hubin, CRIME FICTION IV: A Comprehensive Bibliography, 1749-2000 (Addendum 1), Locus magazine, 2005
- British Juvenile Story Papers and Pocket Libraries Index: Joan Whitford, Barry Ford
- Steve Holland, Daily Annual - Buffalo Bill double number, CBandM, 5 January 1951
- Steve Holland, Fleetway Pocket Library Authors, Bear Alley, 6 December 2009
- Steve Holland, Hunt the Authors, Bear Alley, 27 February 2011